QA Manager (Star Wars)
EAChatsworth, California1Y ago
About the Company - Electronic Arts
Electronic Arts Inc. is a leading global interactive entertainment software company. EA delivers games, content and online services for Internet-connected consoles, personal computers, mobile phones and tablets.
We entertain millions of people across the globe with the most amazing and immersive interactive software in the industry. But making games is hard work. That’s why we employ the most creative and passionate people.
About the Studio - Respawn
Respawn Entertainment is a AAA game development studio that was founded in 2010 by former co-founders of Infinity Ward and creators of the multi-billion dollar Call of Duty and Modern Warfare franchises. In 2017, Respawn was acquired by Electronic Arts. We have shipped Titanfall and Titanfall 2 to critical acclaim, and are currently hiring for our Star Wars ™, Titanfall, and Unannounced VR game development teams. Our motto is gameplay first, and the opportunity to create groundbreaking games with some of the best developer talent in the business awaits our future team members.
CDS - Quality Assurance
Tasked with envisioning and executing on tools and technologies that drive world-class quality is our Central Development Services (CDS) team at Electronic Arts. We are on the forefront of emerging technologies and tools that enable our teams to create and code better and more efficiently. Working as one team we are innovating and evolving the Quality function, designed to be nimble, innovative and preventive, rather than solely detective.
Reporting to the Respawn QA Director, you will be the Product Owner of the Star Wars franchise at Respawn from a QA perspective. You will work alongside development team at Respawn to build and evolve a strong Quality Assurance program covering upcoming title.
The role covers coordinating Development QA and Offsite testing while pushing Defect Prevention/Containment, Automated Testing and Tech Driven solutions and whitebox testing.
You will ensure the QA plans are supported by the correct structure and skills and an effective organization and ownership split that ensures everyone is fully utilized and the structure is focused on upstream bug prevention through tools/automation and development alignment rather than black box testing.
You will build long term plans covering a title from Concept through to Launch as well as building agile Post Launch support plans focused on speed of delivery to our players. It will be critical to have the skills to be able to track multiple deliverables, both locally and remotely, and rapidly change plans and process as needed to react to changing priorities.
The role requires you to have strong Project Management and Communication skills in order to coordinate work between multiple sites and time zones. You will need to ensure that all groups are clear on plans, deliverables and what Development regard as success criteria.
Experience shipping both AAA titles and working on Live Services is ideal. Your approach is exhaustive, preempting and solving challenges before they have an impact on plans.
Finally, you should have an interest in video games with an awareness of Star Wars to work alongside a highly motivated Development Team.
- Build a robust QA Plan for the product integrating Onsite QA Analysts focused on Defect Prevention and Containment and Offsite QA providing Blackbox test coverage as well as Beta testing in the Live environment.
- As the team develops, you will collaborate with Development to define the needs and build a solid Quality Engineering discipline to support the quality tool and automation needs for the project.
- Drive QA Evolution initiatives across your team.
- Establish methods for Grey/White box testing on appropriate features/tools.
- Plan and execute pre-integration content testing strategies.
- Drive the use of Automation and Tools within QA.
- Collaborate with all partners to balance Development Support tasks against QA Delivery work.
- Work with all partner QA groups across EA including Live QA, Systems Test and EA Certification.
- Own mentoring, training and growing the franchise QA Project Management team as well as conducting regular 1:1 meetings with them.
- Represent the extended QA team in Development Meetings, pushing for risk mitigation where appropriate and ensuring alignment as well as flagging risks to budget or project from development driven change.
- Work to build capacity and budgetary requirements for QA covering staffing costs throughout the organization.
- Maintain project cost documents tracking actuals and forecast with a record of changes.
- Work with partner teams to ensure deliverables and defined and delivered efficiently.
- Recognize, communicate and mitigate risks to project delivery.
- Own QA strategy for the Franchise and ensure plans will deliver projects on time, quality and budget.
- Actively make process improvements project wide, identify patterns and new solutions.
- Track existing and create new critical metrics to measure the project and the impact of process improvements
- Balance the need for thorough testing with imperative for continuous iteration from our player during Live Service support.
- You are a flexible individual, who can adapt QA processes to the critical requirements of the product team.
- You have the ability to mentor and evolve direct reports.
- You possess good team building skills, the QA Team should work as a coherent unit across all locations.
- You have a strong customer focus both in terms of development partners and end users.
- You are driven to develop new methodologies to track quality that put the player first.
- You actively contribute towards building a consensus within a group.
- You are always looking for opportunities to work in new ways and improve and evolve process.
- You can rapidly adapt planning and deliverables to the needs of the development team and delivery of the project.
- Time management is an asset for you, both personally and when building plans for the wider team.
- You can effectively organize others (both QA and Dev) to execute plans and collate results.
- You have strong conflict management skills and can remain fair when dealing with sensitive situations.
- You hold strong decision-making skills, able to review facts, weigh options and anticipate consequences of decisions.
- You pre-empt problems and ensure contingency plans are always available.
- You possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and can tailor the right reporting style for different tasks and audiences.
- You can discern technical design or technical information.
- You get hands on to fully understand the challenges to effectively and knowledgeably communicate status with multiple partners.
- To you, results are based on quality and not simply on task completion.
Experience and Qualifications
- Degree level education.
- QA experience of at least 5 years.
- 5 years of managerial experience.
- AAA game experience in a QA Leadership role with multiple titles.
- Experience working with teams that use engine (Frostbite, Unreal, etc.) tools, editors, and/or automation to improve QA workflows is a bonus.
- Proven experience in multi-disciplined projects and QA management.
- Proven ability to manage and lead a test team.
- Experience of working with distributed teams.
- Demonstrated knowledge of software development and QA processes.
- A passion for video games!
Benefits & Perks…
Here's a peek at some of what we offer:
- Medical, Dental, Vision, and other health and welfare plans.
- Disability, Life, and AD&D insurance benefits.
- Flexible Spending Accounts for heath and child care.
- 401K with company match and no vesting period.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
- Generous parental leave for new parents.
- Free games and company store with discounts on games and consoles.
- Other perks include education assistance, commuter benefits, adoption assistance, legal services, mental health support, and group home, auto, and pet insurance.
- Paid time off, as well as holiday office closures including shutdown between Christmas and New Year's.
- Company-sponsored team events such as regular staff parties, food trucks, tournaments, movie screenings, game conventions, Ragnar relay races, and launch parties.
- Game room with a pool table, ping pong, foosball, arcade and tabletop games.
- Fully stocked kitchens with fresh fruit, breakfast, snacks, and more.
- Convenient meal order service for on-site lunch deliveries.
- State of the art on-site gym with 24/7 access.
- On-site yoga classes, massages, and car washes.
- A variety of interest groups and outdoor activities to join with other Respawn Employees: table top games club, poker club, beer club, kit-bashing club, running/hiking, biking, basketball, and soccer among others.
- Friendly, caring co-workers and management.
Applicants are encouraged to highlight how they meet these requirements in their cover letter.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.